July 20, 2011

ABC Scoops


Thanks to Ronald Reagon, July is National Ice Cream Month and we're celebrating all week long with ice cream crafts and activities. Today I whipped up this simple matching game for A as we continue to work on her ABC's.

I google-imaged "cone" and "ice cream cone scoop" and found this great cone graphic as well as a template for a scoop. I printed off a bunch of the cones and cut them out, writing a lower case letter on each one. For the scoops, I used Photoshop to fill in each one with a fun pattern. (Squidfingers.com has some fabulous patterns for free.) You could always just use the template to trace and cut out of scrapbook paper, though.


Eventually I'm hoping A will be able to match the upper and lowercase letters, but until then this is working great for letter recognition. She might just know all her letters by the time preschool starts!


13 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I love Ronald Reagan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! We love ice cream at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect post for one of the hottest days here in WI! Cooling off with ice cream and turning it into a literacy lesson is the cherry on top of the ice cream.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute! I love the ice cream b-day party idea. :) Can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super fun idea! That actually gives me some other ideas to play with......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I've been looking for fun ways to help little man with letter recognition. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this on Pinterest and decided to try it out with my son:) Here's my post about it! Thanks for the idea!
    http://keithplusjenna.blogspot.com/2011/10/scoops-letter-matching.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite scoop in our post! We included your post @ theclassroomcreative Summer Reading Activities. Hope you're enjoying your summer- Karen & Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be sure to laminate projects like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea for a game, we have been playing a lot of letter games at the moment and its definitely having the desired effect. Come and have a look at our version when you get a chance http://princessandthegrapie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/ice-cream-letter-matching.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will make a wonderful file folder game of matching the letters. I am going to anchor the cones to the folder and then my daughter can match to tops to the cone. THanks for the wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. UPDATE: THis blogs webaddress has been removed... http://keithplusjenna.blogspot.com/2011/10/scoops-letter-matching.html. I just tried it.

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails