September 9, 2010

Starting School: Pencil Plaque


I'm not sure yet, but school might just kill us. The kids are exhausted. I'm exhausted. Please tell me it gets better! We always have enough energy for a good craft, however, so when I saw this pencil plaque on S.B. Creatively I thought we should try it.

You can get detailed instructions on S.B.'s site. The craft was a hit with my girls and a perfect way to unwind after a busy day at school.


Painting, gluing, cutting, pasting... you can't pack much more into a single craft!


I used a black paint pen to add the lead tip and their names across the pencil, but you could just as easily use a sharpie. It's perfect for hanging on her bedroom door or above her homework nook.

Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse by Richard Scarry

Richard Scarry's Great Big SchoolhouseDid you have this book growing up? I have fond memories of laying on my belly, flipping the pages and imagining what school must be like. There was nothing frightening about Scarry's classroom, full of friendly classmates, sympathetic Miss Honey, and lots of fun things to learn! If you missed out on this treasure the first time around, now's your chance. Bring it home for your kids and enjoy the nostalgia.




I'm linking up to:
- stART @ A Mommy's Adventures
- Back to School @ ABC & 123

15 comments:

  1. That is such a cute pencil. I remember that I used to want to go to school so much because I had older cousins already going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read that Richard Scarry book but it looks cute. For another book to go along with the craft, there's also a pencil on the cover of If You Take A Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff. (The mouse uses up all the pencils writing a book.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab pencil plaque! Look like they really got stuck into making it! Lovely!

    Maggy
    PS would, ahem, LOVE for you to pop over to Kids Get Crafty and hook up too! http://www.redtedart.com/2010/09/08/kids-get-crafty-eric-carle-homemade-puzzles/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear school's wearing all of you out - we barely made it through a week of Vacation Bible School, so I can't imagine trying it full time! But, the pencil, is really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have to find that Richard Scurry book - we love everything by Richard Scurry. The craft looks very cute, and I hope that the girls will adjust to their new schedule soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pencil is so cute. I think we will be making one soon!

    The first week of school always takes a toll on us. It gets better. I hope the girls are enjoying school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pencil. It would be great to hang near JDaniel's work area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pencil is super cute!
    We love Richard Scarry books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful blog! Thank you for needed inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Next you need to make a giant pencil sharpener...hee! hee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohmigoodness soo stinkin' cute! Tomorrow's our Back to School Linky at ABC & 123. I hope you'll link it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pencil craft! We have all sorts of fun with popsicle sticks, but this is an idea we have yet to see/try! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute--I hope it gets easier for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is adorable!!! I love the Richard Scarry books we had tons of them growing up. I should see if I could borrow a few from my mom. Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute! I love it! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails